The next time you’re looking for a quick dinner idea, try making this healthy baked chicken recipe! These juicy homemade crispy baked panko chicken strips are the absolute best.
Crispy Baked Panko Chicken
Crispy breaded chicken has got to be one of my favorite foods of all time, so my standards for this baked panko chicken are pretty high.
This panko coating is literally everything I’m looking for in the perfect breaded chicken recipe.
It has amazing flavor, a good crunch, and the chicken is super juicy.
I love the parmesan cheese mixed into the coating – it gives it kind of a chicken parmesan vibe. That’s especially true if you heat up some marinara sauce to dip it in – I highly recommend doing that, by the way.
The biggest game changer is using mayonnaise to get the coating to stick – no more messy work with egg and flour coatings.
Truly, this recipe is so good that my mouth is watering while I’m writing about it – I think I’ll have to make another batch for dinner tonight.
It’s so quick and easy to make, which makes it perfect for busy nights (or any night you’d rather skip the restaurant takeout and have delicious crispy chicken at home).
How Do You Get Panko To Stick To Chicken?
You could go the traditional route – coating chicken in some combination of flour, an egg wash, or buttermilk. I prefer to keep things super simple though.
Did you know you can get breading to stick to chicken without eggs? All you have to do is smear a thin layer of mayonnaise on top of the chicken, and then press the mayonnaise coated side into the seasoned breadcrumb mixture.
Even if you don’t have mayonnaise on hand, you can still make this recipe work by using sour cream or plain Greek yogurt in place of the mayo.
Can Panko Be Used In The Oven?
Yes! Panko breadcrumbs are a great option for making crispy baked chicken. They’re light and crispy, and I think it’s an easy ingredient to work with.
To make this simple panko chicken, you’ll need boneless skinless chick breasts, mayonnaise, panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, melted butter, Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
How To Make Panko Chicken
Start by making the panko coating. To do that, mix together the panko, parmesan, melted butter, parmesan, Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Next, butterfly the chicken breasts into even fillets. Coat each one with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Press the chicken, mayonnaise side down, into the panko mixture.
Bake the chicken until it’s golden brown and cooked through. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Click here to pin this recipe for later!
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our entire chicken recipes section! Some reader favorite baked chicken recipes are:
- Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Melt In Your Mouth Chicken
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Marry Me Chicken
- Chicken And Peppers
What To Serve With Panko Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese*
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Marinara sauce (optional, for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (218 C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts all the way through so that you have 6 even chicken fillets. Place the chicken on the baking sheet.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, paprika, fine sea salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, and melted butter.
- Evenly spread the mayonnaise over top of the chicken breasts. Turn the chicken breasts mayonnaise side down into the panko mixture. Press down on the chicken breast to help make the crumbs stick, then put chicken back onto the baking sheet panko side up.
- Bake chicken for about 8 - 12 minutes, or until the thickest part reaches an internal temperature of 165 F on an instant read thermometer.
The thin chicken fillets cook quickly at this temperature. Cooking them high and quick locks in the juices, and it keeps the chicken from drying out. It’s important to check the chicken for doneness around the 8 to 10 minute mark to avoid over cooking.
*I recommend using freshly grated parmesan cheese because it melts better, which helps the coating hold onto the chicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 10gCarbohydrates: 8.6gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 0.3gProtein: 36.7g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. Nutrition information does not include the optional marinara sauce.
This easy breaded chicken will be an instant family favorite! Serve baked panko chicken with your favorite sauce recipe and a side of rice for a quick, healthy, and easy meal.