This kid friendly chicken Dorito casserole is comfort food at its best. It’s filled with Mexican-inspired taco flavors and has layers of cheesy chicken.
Chicken Doritos Casserole
Are you looking for a delicious, comforting, and kid-friendly meal that’s perfect for a family dinner? Look no further than this Chicken Dorito Casserole!
The chicken just melts into the creamy layers of the casserole and the Doritos have the perfect soft crunch. I love the little bit of spice from the RO-TEL that’s balanced out perfectly with the creamy sour cream taco sauce. Plus, our signature homemade taco spice blend wows me in every dish! Taco night can happen a lot more than just on Tuesdays if you ask me!
Just like my Ritz cracker chicken recipe, this dish is a simple, family-friendly way to serve chicken. If you love casseroles as much as I do, you’ve got to try this super delicious John Wayne casserole or this walking taco casserole while you’re here. They’re some of my absolute favorites!
Taco Seasoning: You could replace this with a packet of store bought taco seasoning, but it’s SO much more flavorful when you make your own blend. There aren’t any added fillers and it’s just pure flavor.
Oil: This is used to sauté the onions and help cook the chicken mixture.
Onion: Provides a subtle sweetness and depth of flavor to the casserole.
Chicken: Use cooked shredded chicken. My favorite option for this dish is shredded rotisserie chicken. If you’d rather use hamburger meat, be sure to check out our Dorito casserole with ground beef recipe.
Substitute the chicken with smoked sausage or kielbasa for a different protein option and a smoky flavor. You can also replace the shredded chicken with browned ground turkey or chicken for a different texture and taste.
Canned Beans and Corn: These make this casserole hearty and add lots of texture and flavor.
RO-TEL: Canned tomatoes with diced green chilies add just a bit of heat and acid to the casserole, which balances out the creamy flavors.
Sour Cream and Cream Cheese: These add creaminess and richness to the casserole. They also help bind the ingredients together.
Cheddar Cheese: Cheddar cheese is melted throughout the casserole and on top. It adds a delicious, gooey texture and flavor. Experiment with various types of cheese, such as pepper jack, Colby, or Monterey Jack, to add variety and change the flavor of the casserole.
Doritos: I like using the classic Nacho Cheese flavor, but it would also be so good with the Spicy Nacho or Flamin’ Hot Nacho flavors – it all just depends on how spicy you want your casserole to be. You could even use Cool Ranch Doritos if they’re your favorite!
Toppings: Get creative with your toppings! Green onions, salsa, sour cream, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro are all fantastic choices.
How To Make Chicken Dorito Casserole
Preheat the oven and grease a casserole dish. Make your homemade taco seasoning by combining all the spices in a small bowl. Set aside for later use. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Heat oil in a large skillet, then cook the diced onions until translucent. Add the shredded chicken, taco seasoning, and water to the pan.
Mix to evenly coat the chicken with the seasoning. Cook for a few minutes. Add in the black beans, corn, RO-TEL, sour cream, and cream cheese.
Mix until everything is well incorporated and the cream cheese has melted.
Lightly crush the Doritos into bite-sized pieces and layer some of them at the bottom of the casserole dish. Add some of the chicken mixture on top of the chips, then sprinkle some of the shredded cheese evenly over the meat.
Layer with more Doritos, the remaining chicken mixture, and the rest of the cheddar cheese. Bake the Chicken Dorito Casserole until the cheese is melted and bubbling. While it’s baking, prepare your toppings.
Once the casserole is cooked, remove it from the oven, sprinkle the remaining Doritos over top, and add your desired toppings before serving. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
What Goes With Dorito Casserole
This is a super hearty and filling casserole, so I like to keep things light and simple with the sides. Some easy sauteed green beans, roasted asparagus, or a little side salad is perfect to serve with this dinner.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. The crunch from the chips will be gone, but it will still be delicious. To reheat, simply place a portion in a microwave-safe dish and heat until warmed through. I wouldn’t recommend freezing this dish.
Slow Cooker Instructions
Follow the skillet instructions from the recipe card, then layer the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours (except for the final layer of Doritos). When it’s finished cooking, sprinkle the remaining Doritos on top.
Stovetop Skillet Casserole Instructions
Cook the onions, chicken, and seasoning in a large lidded skillet or Dutch oven, then add the remaining ingredients (except for the Doritos and cheese) and cook until heated through. Layer with cheese, then cover the skillet with a lid or aluminum foil and cook over low heat until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle the Doritos over top before serving.
Make It Vegetarian: Omit the chicken and add extra beans, such as kidney beans or pinto beans, for a vegetarian-friendly version of this dish.
Vegetables: Include extra veggies like bell peppers, zucchini, or diced tomatoes to make the casserole more colorful and add more flavors.
Spice It Up: If you prefer a spicier casserole, add some sliced jalapeños, hot sauce, or increase the amount of red chili flakes in the taco seasoning.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out all of our casserole recipes! Some reader favorites are:
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced, about 1 cup)
- 3 cups shredded chicken (I used rotisserie)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (10 ounce) can mild RO-TEL (undrained)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature and cubed, half a brick)
- 6 cups Doritos (Nacho Cheese flavor, 4 cups lightly crushed)
- 2 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese**
- 2 Green onions (sliced, 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved and quartered)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 F). Use nonstick cooking spray to lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 casserole dish.
- To a small bowl, add the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, red chili flakes, and oregano. Stir together, then set aside
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onions and cook until translucent (about 4 minutes).
- Add the shredded chicken, homemade taco seasoning, and water to the pan. Use a rubber spatula to thoroughly mix until the chicken is completely coated in the seasoning. Heat the chicken for about 3 minutes.
- Next, add in the rinsed black beans, corn, RO-TEL, sour cream, and cubed cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese has melted and everything is well incorporated. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Lightly crush the Doritos into bite sized pieces. Spread 1/3 of the broken Dorito pieces to the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Add half the chicken mixture to the top of the chips, then sprinkle half the shredded cheese evenly over the meat. Add another layer of Doritos, the remaining chicken mixture, then the rest of the cheddar cheese. (Leave the remaining 1/3 of Dorito pieces to the side to top the casserole after baking.)
- Bake the Chicken Dorito Casserole in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling (about 15 minutes). While the casserole is in the oven, prepare your topping ingredients (tomatoes, onions and cilantro).
- Remove the casserole from the oven, and spread the remaining Doritos evenly over the melted cheese. Garnish with dollops of sour cream, salsa, cilantro, green onions, and tomatoes.
*This is a spice blend sold in the US and Canada that’s much more mild than the pure chili powder sold in the UK or other parts of the world.
**I recommend using freshly shredded cheese because pre-shredded cheese is coated in an anti-caking agent that stops it from melting smoothly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 778Total Fat: 41.9gCarbohydrates: 55.9gFiber: 11.1gSugar: 7.5gProtein: 47g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
We hope you enjoy this Chicken Dorito Casserole as much as we do! It’s a simple, comforting, and delicious meal that’s perfect for bringing the family together around the dinner table.