This post is sponsored by Klarbrunn.
Chickpea Shawarma Salad
I am definitely craving all the healthy whole foods these days. It’s still super cold though, so I’m very into hearty and filling salads right now. This vegan salad is filling and just all around jam packed with yummy flavor.
The roasted chickpeas take a little while, but most good things do. Plus, they don’t require too much hands on time. They just need some help from the oven to get nice and crispy. Trust me, it’s so worth it.
Also, the shawarma sauce. I mean this dressing is just everything. It’s so vibrant and full of flavor and I may or may not be putting it on pretty much everything right now.
I’ve partnered up with Klarbrunn to bring you this amazing healthy vegan salad. It’s such a bright and delicious salad, and it pairs perfectly with their lemon sparkling water! The lemon flavor really complements the lemon in the Shawarma Sauce. You can find out where to buy Klarbrunn here.
There are a few changes that I think would taste great!
- You could add quinoa to the salad to make it heartier.
- Try serving the salad in pita to make a delicious chickpea shawarma wrap.
- Use hummus, a lemon tahini dressing, or a lime tahini dressing for the salad dressing. You could even use Toum (Lebanese Garlic Sauce)!
- Try adding a sprinkle of Za’atar seasoning or serving it with Za’atar pita.
How to Make this Keto or Low Carb
The main thing you’d have to change to make this vegan salad low carb, is to swap the chickpeas for a low carb protein.
My protein of choice would be tofu. You could dice it into ¼” squares, toss it in oil, salt, and shawarma seasoning, and bake it until it’s crispy.
Some reader favorites are:
- 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 2 - 3 medium cloves garlic (pressed, depending on taste preference)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill (diced)
- 5 fresh medium mint leaves (diced)
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (depending on taste preference)
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint (optional, chopped)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 English cucumber (sliced into half moons)
- 1/3 medium red onion (thinly sliced)
- Make 1 batch of the Crispy Roasted Chickpeas.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and sprinkle the Shawarma Seasoning over top of the warm chickpeas. Stir to coat the chickpeas in the spices. If you wait too long to add the spice mixture, it will have a hard time sticking to the chickpeas. You can spray a little oil on the chickpeas to help the spices adhere. Taste, and adjust for salt preference.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before topping the salad with them.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Layer the lettuce, then the rest of the vegetables, and top with the chickpeas. Drizzle the dressing on top.
To get the chickpeas crispy, it’s so important to fully dry them and then remove as many of the skins as you can.
This recipe is written to get the chickpeas really crispy, almost like croutons. If you don’t want them that crispy, you can skip removing the skins, coat them in all the seasonings before baking, and bake them for 20 - 30 minutes.
Depending on how thin your vegan yogurt is, you may need more citrus juice. Add additional citrus juice or water to get the consistency you like.
The mint in the salad is totally optional. It adds a nice layer of freshness that I think balances out the flavor of the seasoned chickpeas really well, but I don’t necessarily think it’s for everyone. If you look at the ingredient list and think that it’s something you wouldn’t like, I’d leave it out and just use the mint in the sauce.
This recipe makes 2 full meal sized salads, or 4 side salad sized portions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 14.3gCarbohydrates: 43.4gNet Carbohydrates: 29.4gFiber: 14gSugar: 10.3gProtein: 14.2g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Click here to pin this recipe for later!
Click here to pin this recipe for later!
Try making this healthy and delicious vegan chickpea shawarma salad!