Cream cheese chicken chili (also called crack chicken chili) is the BEST easy creamy white chicken chili. Creamy chili with shredded chicken, beans, corn, RO-TEL, spices, and ranch seasoning makes an incredibly flavorful meal with minimal effort.
Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
OK, this seriously has to be one of the tastiest chili recipes I’ve ever had. You all are going to love this recipe! I promise.
The chili flavors pair perfectly with the ranch seasoning. Then it’s made so creamy by the addition of cream cheese. It’s something you would never imagine when you think about a traditional chili, but it’s exactly what you’re going to crave from now on after you try it.
As soon as I tasted it for the first time I started planning out when I could make it again. It’s really that good. I’ve made it so many times already, and everyone has given it 5 star reviews.
I originally planned on topping it with some shredded cheese, but after serving some in a bowl and having a bite, the cheese idea went out the window – it was already perfect without it! It’s a hearty, delicious, and healthy meal that’s always going to be in our meal rotation during the colder months.
What’s The Difference Between White Chili And Regular Chili?
It’s called white chili because the base flavors are all white or pale, compared to the dark and red ingredients in a traditional chili recipe. Regular chili uses a tomato base with ground beef and red kidney beans. White chili is made with chicken, chicken broth, a creamy element (like cream cheese), and it’s flavored with green chiles.
This recipe is kind of a marriage between the two, because it combines chicken and chicken broth, with RO-TEL and black beans.
For this recipe you’ll need chicken breasts, canned pinto beans, banned black beans, RO-TEL (or some other combination of diced tomatoes and green chiles), canned corn, onion, chicken broth, cream cheese, and fresh cilantro.
The seasonings for this white chicken chili are chili powder, ground cumin, salt, pepper, and ranch seasoning.
If you’d like something closer to a true white chili, you could substitute the pinto and black beans with either great northern beans or cannellini beans.
How To Make Creamy White Chicken Chili
Start by spraying the interior of the slow cooker with cooking oil, then place the butterflied chicken breasts in it. Top with the drained and rinsed canned beans, the corn, the onion, and the RO-TEL.
Add in the chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, ranch seasoning mix, and cream cheese.
Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, then shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
Should Chili Be Thick Or Soupy?
Chili should be significantly heartier than other soups, and it shouldn’t have a soupy texture. This white chicken chili isn’t quite as thick as a true chili, like this Chili Con Carne, but it’s thicker than most soups.
How Do You Thicken White Chicken Chili?
The easiest way to thicken any kind of soup, stew, or chili is to mix some cornstarch with a little bit of cold water, and then add that mixture to the pot. Bring it to a boil for a few minutes to activate the thickening properties of the cornstarch, and enjoy your thicker soup!
Can You Freeze White Chicken Chili?
Unfortunately, this soup won’t freeze well. The cream cheese doesn’t have the best texture when it thaws, and since it’s a main ingredient in this dish, I wouldn’t recommend freezing it.
What To Serve It With
Try serving this with a side of cornbread or some crushed tortilla chips on top. It’s also delicious served with a lime wedge and topped with either shredded cheddar cheese or with pepper jack cheese.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Click here to pin this recipe for later!
If you love easy and delicious soups, be sure to check out our entire soup recipe category! Some reader favorites are:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large chicken breasts)
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can RO-TEL original (undrained)
- 1 (11 ounce) can of whole kernel corn (undrained)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1 package ranch seasoning mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese (cubed, 1 full brick)
- 2 tablespoons diced fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- Avocado slices (optional, for garnish)
- Lightly grease a 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and place them on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the beans, RO-TEL, corn, onions, chicken broth, loose spices, ranch package, and cubed cream cheese to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 3 - 4 hours. Chicken should read an internal temperature of 165 F on an instant read meat thermometer.
- Give the chili a light stir occasionally to mix the cream cheese in and to ensure that it melts all the way through.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks. Stir the shredded chicken back into the chili, and set the slow cooker to high heat for another 30 minutes. After it’s finished cooking, taste and adjust salt and pepper to your preference.
- Serve hot and garnish with diced cilantro and slices of avocado.
*This is a spice blend sold in the USA and Canada, it’s not the same thing as chili powder sold in the UK and other parts of the world (where it’s just pure ground chilis).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 16.9gCarbohydrates: 38.5gFiber: 10.6gSugar: 6.3gProtein: 29.5g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
If you’re looking for a ridiculously easy recipe that everyone in your family is guaranteed to love, this cream cheese chicken chili is the recipe for you!