Creamy Cajun chicken pasta with cream cheese is an easy one pot meal that’s perfect for date night! You can make Cajun Alfredo spicy or a little more mild, so everyone will love it!
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
If you love Cheesecake Factory’s Louisiana Chicken Pasta, or Chili’s Cajun Chicken Pasta, you’re going to LOVE this simple dinner! Skip the takeout, and make the best restaurant quality creamy spicy Southern pasta at home. It’s topped with the most delicious blackened chicken, and honestly it’s just a match made in heaven.
This recipe was so easy to make and the house smelled great while I was cooking it. Everyone LOVED it, and they all think I should make it all the time. Someone even waited up until I was done cooking it because it smelled so incredible (and then he ate the whole bowl). Definitely 5 star reviews from my family!
Cajun Pasta Ingredients
Homemade seasoning blends are my favorite way to guarantee perfect results in a recipe, so I definitely wanted to include a homemade Cajun seasoning blend for you with this recipe. For the Cajun seasoning you’ll need: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, fine sea salt, dried oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and dried thyme.
In addition to the Cajun seasoning, you’ll also need: boneless skinless chicken breasts, olive oil, penne pasta, butter, red bell pepper, yellow onion, garlic, chicken broth, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley.
How To Make Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Start by making the spice blend, then mix half of it with the oil and coat the butterflied chicken in it. Saute the chicken until it’s cooked through, and set it aside.
Next, you’ll make the sauce. Saute the onions and peppers in butter, then add in the remaining Cajun seasoning. Stir in the chicken broth, then add the cream cheese and parmesan. Stir until they’re totally melted and incorporated into the sauce. Let it simmer to thicken, then toss it with the pasta and sliced chicken. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
Cajun Alfredo Sauce
We’re all about easy recipes with accessible ingredients here, so we’re skipping the heavy cream and using cream cheese instead. Honestly, I think it’s better this way. The cream cheese is just so perfect in this Creole spicy pasta sauce.
What Type Of Pasta Should You Use?
My favorite noodle to serve with creamy Cajun pasta sauce is penne pasta. This is a super versatile sauce though, so it would also taste great with farfalle (bowtie), spaghetti, tortellini, or linguine.
What To Serve It With
I love serving this with a side of Italian green beans. If you want to increase the protein, you could also add some bacon, shrimp, or sausage. For an extra spicy kick, feel free to increase the cayenne pepper or add red pepper flakes.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Click here to pin this recipe for later!
Pasta Recipes With Chicken
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our entire pasta recipes section! We have tons of other creamy pasta recipes. Some reader favorites are:
- Spicy Chicken Pasta
- Rasta Pasta with Jerk Chicken
- Pink Sauce Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Pasta with Peas
- Authentic Mexican Green Spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (can use more oregano if you don’t have thyme)
Chicken and Pasta Sauce:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 chicken breasts)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups dry penne (300 grams)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 large red bell pepper (stems and seeds removed, cut into 1/4” thick strips, strips cut in half)
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese (half a brick, room temperature)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese**
- Fine sea salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)
- In a small bowl, mix all the spice ingredients together. Measure out 1 1/2 Tablespoons for the chicken and 1 Tablespoon for the sauce.
Pasta Part 1:
- Start to bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the Cajun seasoning, add in the olive oil, and mix.
- Using a sharp knife, butterfly the chicken all the way through so you have 4 even pieces.
- Add chicken to the bowl and coat evenly with the oil and spice blend.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the chicken to the pan and cook the chicken for about 3 minutes per side, until charred and the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165 F on an instant read meat thermometer. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Turn heat to medium and add the butter to the pan.
Pasta Part 2:
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the penne pasta to the boiling water and cook to al dente according to the package instructions.
Creamy Cajun Sauce:
- To the buttered skillet, add the onion and red bell pepper and saute for about 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent and peppers are softened. Add in the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Stir in the remaining Cajun seasoning, then add the chicken broth, and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and add in with the parmesan cheese. Stir until the cream cheese is fully melted. Turn the heat down to low and simmer to allow sauce to thicken, around 7-8 minutes
- Slice chicken into thin strips.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix the pasta and the chicken with the sauce.
- Garnish with parsley along with some additional parmesan cheese.
If you use a store bought Cajun seasoning, you may need to adjust the salt in the rest of the recipe. Store bought Cajun seasoning tends to be saltier than the homemade blend listed in this recipe card.
*If you're making this for younger kids, you may only want to use 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
**Freshly grated parmesan cheese will melt into the sauce better. Pre-grated cheeses are coated in a starch to prevent the shreds from sticking together, but they make it more difficult to melt the cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 17.3gCarbohydrates: 45.3gNet Carbohydrates: 42.3gFiber: 3gSugar: 4.5gProtein: 28.4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. This recipe makes 4 large or 6 small servings. Nutrition was calculated for portions that make 6 servings.
Creamy Cajun chicken pasta needs to be on your list of recipes to make! It’s quick, easy, delicious, and the flavors of this blackened chicken Alfredo are truly phenomenal.