Gigi Hadid’s Pasta Recipe went viral when she posted it on Instagram and TikTok, and for good reason! This restaurant quality spicy vodka pasta is luxuriously creamy and absolutely delicious. You can make it with or without vodka – it will be absolutely delicious either way.
Gigi Hadid Pasta
This spicy vodka pasta sauce in this recipe will make you feel like you’re living your best life.
It’s a thick, creamy, decadent sauce that’s made with olive oil, tomato paste, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese.
You’ll love the way the sweetness of the shallots balances the little kick from the crushed red pepper flakes.
The flavors are bound together with vodka, which helps elevate all the flavors and make them pop.
Pasta: Gigi used shell pasta, which is my favorite pasta for this dish. I love the way the little nooks hold pockets of the delicious sauce. You could also use penne pasta or bowtie pasta. If you use penne, this would actually be a Penne alla Vodka recipe. I prefer white pasta, but you could use whole wheat pasta if you prefer.
Oil: Extra virgin olive oil is the way to go for this recipe. It’s the perfect fat to saute the flavorful ingredients in.
Aromatics: A combination of the sweetness from the shallots and the nutty flavor of the garlic flavors this dish so well. If you don’t have shallot, you can swap it for red onion.
Tomato Paste: Tomato paste is the perfect tomato base for this pasta sauce. Using tomato paste instead of tomato sauce allows you to get all the flavor without thinning out the sauce with too much liquid.
Vodka: Vodka helps elevate the flavor of the sauce, and helps create a more cohesive texture.
Heavy Cream: Heavy cream (also called whipping cream) creates the perfect creamy base for this sauce.
Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese adds in a salty and umami flavor profile that adds a lot of depth to the sauce.
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: This adds the spice that makes it a spicy vodka sauce. You can add more if you like it really spicy, or you can omit it if you don’t like any spice.
Butter: Stirring in a bit of butter at the end with the cooked pasta adds another layer of flavor. It has a different flavor than the other fats in the dish, and helps create a well rounded flavor profile.
Pasta Water: Pasta water adds flavor, thins the sauce in way that still provides body, and helps bind the ingredients of the sauce together. I recommend reserving 1 cup of pasta water (even though you should only need 1/2 cup).
How To Make Gigi Hadid Pasta
Boil the pasta according to the package instructions, and reserve some of the pasta water before draining. While the pasta is boiling, saute shallots in olive oil until they soften, then stir in the garlic and saute until it’s aromatic. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Stir in the tomato sauce and continue to saute, stirring frequently to help the tomato sauce incorporate into the oil as best you can. Add in the vodka, stir, and saute for a few minutes.
Mix in the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and crushed red pepper flakes.
Stir some of the pasta water into the sauce, and mix until the sauce is cohesive.
Add in the cooked pasta and a bit of butter.
Gently toss the pasta in the sauce until it is evenly coated. Top it with fresh basil or fresh parsley, and serve. If you want to amp it up a bit, top it with strips of grilled chicken and freshly crumbled feta cheese. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
What Is The Gigi Hadid Pasta Actually Called?
Gigi Hadid’s pasta is actually a spicy vodka pasta recipe, and it’s SO good. 100% worth the hype!
Why Is There Vodka In Gigi Hadid Pasta?
The vodka in this sauce is totally optional (Gigi Hadid actually didn’t use it in her popular recipe). If you have it and can use it, I’d recommend it though!
Vodka enhances the flavor of the tomato sauce, and it helps create a more cohesive texture (it helps the tomato paste blend better with the heavy cream).
If you want to mimic the vodka in the recipe, you can use a 1:1 replacement of a 50/50 mixture of lemon/lime juice and apple/grape juice.
Can You Make Gigi Hadid Pasta Without Heavy Cream?
Heavy cream is what makes the sauce so thick, creamy, delicious, and luxurious. Milk wouldn’t have the same effect, but you could swap the heavy cream for half and half if you’re looking for a slightly lighter option.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
If you like creamy tomato pastas, try one of these reader favorite pasta recipes:
- 1 pound shell pasta (about 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 shallots (finely diced, about 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons vodka (optional, see notes)*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese (plus extra for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (28 grams)
- Freshly chopped basil for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, cook the pasta to al dente according to the package instructions. Before draining the pasta in a colander, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until they start to soften (about 3-4 minutes). Add in the minced garlic and cook until aromatic (about 1 minute).
- Add in the tomato paste and mix. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently to fully combine it with the oil.
- Pour in the vodka, stir, and saute for 3 minutes to burn off the alcohol.
- Pour in the heavy cream and mix. Add the parmesan cheese and the crushed red pepper flakes. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Mix in the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce out, then add the pasta and gently toss to evenly coat it in the sauce. Halfway through mixing, add in the butter and continue to mix until the pasta is fully coated and the butter has melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil and extra parmesan cheese. Serve hot.
*The vodka in this sauce is totally optional (Gigi Hadid actually didn't use it in her popular recipe). If you have it and can use it, I'd recommend it though! Vodka enhances the flavor of the tomato sauce, and it helps create a more cohesive texture (it helps the tomato pasta blend better with the heavy cream).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 698Total Fat: 40.5gCarbohydrates: 63.6gFiber: 3.6gSugar: 6.8gProtein: 16.6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
If you want to make the famous Gigi Hadid pasta from her Instagram story, this is the recipe for you!