Homemade pesto pizza with fresh mozzarella and cherry tomatoes is a delicious dinner! Serve it on flatbread or naan to make it even easier!
Homemade Pesto Pizza
If you’ve been around here before, you might already know that Shane loves pizza with red sauce, and I love pizza with white sauce. One thing we can definitely agree on is that pizza made with pesto is absolutely fantastic.
This pizza is savory, cheesy, and absolutely wonderful! I truly think that pesto, mozzarella, and tomato may be one of the best flavor combinations of all time.
If you’d like to make this pizza even easier, I recommend using naan or flatbread instead of a traditional pizza crust. If you do this, keep an eye on it while it’s baking because it likely won’t take as long to bake.
You could also make this pizza on the grill to add an amazing charred flavor! If you’ve never tried grilled pizza, you’ll be in for a real treat.
How to Make Pesto Sauce for Pizza
I actually don’t like to use parmesan in my pesto. I think that it takes away from the flavor of the basil. To make a simple and completely delicious pesto I combine these ingredients in a blender.
- 3 cups fresh basil
- ⅓ cup pine nuts (I recommend this brand)
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ – 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (depending on preference)
- Pepper (to taste)
The Best Pesto Pizza Toppings
I love keeping this vegetarian pizza simple and topping it with just halved cherry tomatoes. If you want something a little fancier, chicken, feta, goat cheese, and sun dried tomatoes would all taste amazing!
Pesto Pizza Ingredients
For this pizza, you’ll only need a few simple ingredients.
- My Italian Thin Crust Pizza Dough recipe
- Olive oil
- Fine sea salt
- Shredded pizza mozzarella
- Cherry tomatoes
What You’ll Need
The only tool you’ll need is a good quality baking sheet. This is the sheet I recommend using because it’s an affordable and versatile baking sheet. It will work perfectly for everything from cookies to pizza.
- Preheat oven to 500 F for at least 15 minutes, but preferably 30-45 minutes.
- Stretch the dough out to a 6” circle and place on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Spread the olive oil over the dough and sprinkle with the salt and garlic.
- Drop the pesto in dollops randomly across the pizza.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the pizza.
- Top with the cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the tomatoes are cooked, the cheese is melted, and the crust is golden brown.
This recipe can be easily doubled to make a standard size pizza, or quadrupled to make a large sheet pan pizza.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 21.6gSaturated Fat: 7.3gTrans Fat: 0.4gCholesterol: 25.3mgSodium: 907.9mgCarbohydrates: 28.8gNet Carbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 1.7gProtein: 18.8g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
If you try this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments or on Instagram! @keytomylime #keytomylime
Be sure to pin this recipe for later!
The next time you’re looking for an amazing pizza recipe, try making this basil pesto pizza!