This Philly Cheesesteak Casserole with noodles is the perfect hearty easy dinner! Everyone will love this cheesy ground beef and pasta casserole.
Philly Cheesesteak Pasta Casserole
When I think of a traditional Philly Cheesesteak, I think of a shaved steak sandwich that’s cheesy and super tasty. But I also think of it as being time consuming or just not simple enough to throw into my dinner rotation.
After making this cheesy ground beef casserole version, I’m amazed at how quick, simple, and tasty it is. I can’t believe I haven’t tried this out sooner!
The ground beef is a perfect substitute for the steak. Plus, I love that the ground beef is a more affordable alternative – that’s my kind of dinner. If you’d prefer a version made with steak strips, be sure to check out our one pot Philly Cheesesteak Pasta recipe.
This cheesy Cheesesteak Casserole is a home run here in my house. We didn’t even finish dinner before I was asked when we were going to have it again.
That’s a win in my book! It’s definitely a great family friendly dinner to have in your meal plan.
This recipe has a remarkably short ingredient list considering how much flavor it packs in each bite. You only need 8 main ingredients, plus some spices.
For this recipe you’ll need small shell pasta, lean ground beef, onion, green bell pepper, garlic, black pepper, salt, onion powder, cream cheese, mozzarella, and provolone.
How To Make It
Start by cooking the pasta to two minutes less than al dente, be sure to save some of the pasta water before you drain it. Drain the pasta and run it under cold water to stop the cooking process.
While that’s boiling, start browning the ground beef in a skillet, then add in the onion and bell pepper and sauté until the onion is translucent. Then add in the spices and garlic and sauté until the garlic is aromatic. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Add in the cubed cream cheese, and stir until it has fully meted. Once it’s melted, add in the reserved pasta water and stir to combine.
Stir in the cooked pasta and the shredded mozzarella. Transfer the casserole filling to a greased baking dish.
Top the casserole with slices of provolone cheese, then bake uncovered in a preheated oven until the casserole is set and the cheese is fully melted.
Finish it off with a couple of minutes on the broil setting, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
If you’d rather use something other than hamburger meat, you can try shaved steak, thinly sliced beef, or you could even use leftover shredded chicken.
Instead of using shell pasta, you could make this with macaroni, egg noodles, or boiled potato chunks. You could also top the casserole with tater tots.
Try adding a dash of Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef for some more depth of flavor.
Serve it topped with a little seasoned salt and a some hot sauce to bring the flavor to a new level.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Click here to pin this recipe for later!
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our other casserole recipes! Some reader favorites are:
- Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
- Hamburger Potato Casserole
- Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie
- Walking Taco Casserole
- Mexican Cornbread Casserole
What To Serve With Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
We have tons of great side dish recipes that would be delicious with this casserole. Some of my favorite sides to serve with it are:
- 200 grams small shell pasta (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced, about 1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (diced, about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese (cubed, 1 full brick)
- 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Diced fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (176 C). Lightly grease a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once it’s boiling, cook the pasta for 2 minutes less than al dente (according to the package instructions). Reserve 3/4 cup of pasta water before draining. When the pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse under cool running water to stop the cooking process.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef for 3 minutes, drain away any excess fat. Turn heat down to medium, add the onions and green peppers to the ground beef, and continue to cook until the onions are translucent (about 4 minutes). Add in the garlic, black pepper, sea salt, and onion powder. Mix to combine, then saute for 1 minute.
- Add the cubed cream cheese to the beef mixture and stir until the cream cheese has fully melted (about 2 - 3 minutes). Add in the 3/4 cup of reserved pasta water, and stir. Add in the shredded mozzarella cheese and cooked pasta, and stir to combine.
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to the greased casserole dish, and top with the provolone cheese slices. Bake for 20 minutes (or until the cheese is fully melted and the casserole is set), then broil for 2 minutes (or until the top is golden brown and bubbly).
- Remove from the oven, garnish with diced fresh parsley, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 562Total Fat: 32.4gCarbohydrates: 31.1gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 4.2gProtein: 36.6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Enjoy all the flavors from the iconic Philly cheesesteak sandwich in this simplified ground beef casserole. Philly cheesesteak casserole is a quick and easy dinner that the whole family will enjoy!