This stretchy queso dip recipe is SO GOOD! It’s flavorful, melty, stretchy, and absolutely perfect to enjoy with tortilla chips or spread on a tortilla.
Stretchy, melty, delicious cheese is just about my favorite food ever. This stretchy queso dip is beyond delicious. I love having this queso recipe with tortilla chips or when I don’t want the cheese in my recipe to melt everywhere (think recipes like quesadillas and crunchwraps).
How to make queso cheese dip:
Start by making a roux in your skillet. You can do this by mixing melted butter with tapioca starch (or flour if you’re not gluten free) until it’s evenly combined.
Next, you’ll add milk and stir it until it’s fully incorporated. You may need to let it simmer for a minute or so until it thickens and looks like the picture below.
Once it’s looking creamy and smooth, you’ll add in the cheese and spices. Mix that all together to melt the cheese.
Serve this recipe as soon as it’s cool enough to eat. It’s best served hot and it can start to separate if it’s left to sit for too long.
This recipe would be great served with my Easy Pico de Gallo Salsa and tortilla chips!
Stretchy Queso Dip
This stretchy queso dip recipe is SO GOOD! It's flavorful, melty, stretchy, and absolutely perfect to enjoy with tortilla chips or spread on a tortilla.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 - 1 ½ cups milk (depending on desired thickness)
- ½ cup shredded pizza mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ - 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (depending on spice preference)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- Heat a medium sized non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Turn heat to medium-low and add the butter, as soon as it’s melted add in the flour and whisk until it’s smooth to create a roux. A roux depends on using at least equal parts fat to flour, so if you decide to use less butter, you’ll need to reduce the amount of flour you use as well.
- Add in the milk slowly, stirring after each addition, until it’s fully incorporated and everything has become an even consistency.
- Turn the heat off. Add in the cheese, salt, chili pepper flakes, and chipotle powder. Stir to combine
I prefer this with 1 ½ cups milk, but if you want your queso really thick, stick with 1 cup.
Serve this dip as soon as it's cool enough to eat. It's best served hot, and it can start to separate if it's left to sit for a while. This is not a good dish to make in advance.
If you're not gluten free, you can substitute the 2 Tablespoons tapioca starch for 1/4 cup flour. It turns out beautifully either way!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 7.7gCarbohydrates: 5.4gFiber: .2gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 3.7g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. The nutrition for this recipe is calculated assuming 1 1/2 cups 2% milk.
Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments and on Instagram! @keytomylime #keytomylime
Be sure to pin this recipe for later!
Do you prefer a white queso dip? Dinner at the Zoo has one that looks delicious!