Turkey Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread is the perfect way to turn Philly Cheese Steaks into an appetizer! You’ll love it made with delicious ground turkey!
We love steak, but we tend to eat a lot more poultry than red meat. That’s how this recipe originated, and I’ve gotta say, we are obsessed. Turkey Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread is officially the recipe we are serving for every single game day this year. This cheesesteak bread is basically all of our tailgate food dreams coming true in one delicious cheesesteak recipe.
How to Make These Philly Cheese Steak Appetizers:
Brown the ground turkey and then add in the Worcestershire sauce.
Saute the onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers until the onions and peppers are soft and the mushrooms are a golden brown.
Add mayonnaise to each sub half. Be sure not to skimp too much on the mayonnaise! It’s really important for the final flavor profile.
Next, add in your first layer of cheese. You can use the traditional provolone, or you can use pizza mozzarella if you’re in a pinch. You can also use either sliced or shredded cheese.
Top the cheese with the sauteed veggies.
Top the veggies with the browned and seasoned ground turkey.
Finally, add your second layer of cheese. I like to leave some spaces between my top layer of cheese so there are areas where the ground turkey pokes through.
Bake for 10-15 minutes and then remove from the oven. Cut each piece in half and serve while hot!
- 2 6” sub rolls
- 1 Tablespoon butter (divided)
- ¼ pound ground turkey
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ medium yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- ½ green bell pepper (washed, seeds and stem removed, and sliced)
- ½ of an 8 ounce pack white mushrooms (stems removed, washed, dried, and sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ cup shredded pizza mozzarella
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add ½ Tablespoon butter. As soon as it’s melted add the ground turkey. Saute about 5 minutes, or until it’s cooked through and browned.
- Add the worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and saute an additional minute. Remove the turkey from the skillet and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter, add the onion, pepper, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables have shrunk considerably in size, have softened, and are starting to brown.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise and place on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Spread the mayonnaise evenly across the bread.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese across the bread.
- Spoon the sauteed vegetables onto the bread.
- Spoon the ground turkey onto the bread.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the cheese across the bread.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
- Remove from oven. Cut each piece in half and serve.
Serving Size:1/2 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143 Total Fat: 8.3g Carbohydrates: 10.9g Fiber: .7g Sugar: 2.2g Protein: 6.3g
Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments and on Instagram @keytomylime #keytomylime and pin this recipe for later!
Learn more about the history of the Philadelphia Cheese Steak from What’s Cooking America.