This Turkey Taco Rice Skillet makes the perfect easy weeknight dinner. Made with only one pan and topped with a delicious sauce, you’re sure to love it!
Skillets and easy casseroles are kind of my cold season jive. They’re easy, hearty, delicious, and filling. This Turkey Taco Rice Skillet is no exception. It’s full of delicious flavor, requires hardly any effort, and is always a hit.
This Mexican rice skillet is even easier if you work it into your meal prep plan and have the taco meat and the sauce made in advance.
To make this meal, you’ll start by sautéing some chopped onions. Once they’re starting to brown, mix in the cooked rice.
Next, you’ll top the rice with blacks beans, corn, and cooked ground meat.
You can season the ground turkey any way you like, but I always use my Ground Turkey Taco Meat recipe. It’s full of flavor from two secret ingredients. Ok, they’re not really secret, but the addition of bouillon and strained tomatoes makes this taco meat something worth writing home about. If you’re cooking ground meat specifically for this recipe, I’d definitely recommend using this recipe!
Top all of that with some shredded cheese, cover it, and heat on low for 10 minutes.
Once it’s heated through and the cheese is melted, top it with your favorite fresh toppings. My favorites are black olives, tomatoes, and chives.
Be sure to add the Copycat Taco Bell Quesadilla Sauce! It takes a delicious skillet and turns it into something heavenly. Truly, the magic is in the sauce. You’ve got to make it!
If you like rice dishes, check out my Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole! It’s dairy free and completely healthy, but tastes delicious and cheesy.
Turkey Taco Rice Skillet
This Turkey Taco Rice Skillet makes the perfect easy weeknight dinner. Made with only one pan and topped with a delicious sauce, you're sure to love it!
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- ½ batch Ground Turkey Taco Meat
- ½ cup Mexican mixed shredded cheese
- ½ batch Copycat Taco Bell Quesadilla Sauce
- 4 grape tomatoes (quartered)
- 2 Tablespoon sliced black olives
- 1 Tablespoon diced chives
- Heat a medium non-stick lidded skillet over medium heat.
- Add the butter, once it’s melted add the onion and salt, and stir. Saute for about 4 minutes, or until it’s starting to brown and soften.
- Add the rice, corn, black beans, and Ground Turkey Taco Meat.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over top and cover. Turn the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes (or until the food is heated through and the cheese is melted).
- Remove from heat.
- Drizzle with Copycat Taco Bell Quesadilla Sauce, and sprinkle with tomatoes, black olives, and scallions. Serve hot.
The cook time assumes that you already have the rice and taco meat meat cooked, and the sauce made. If you're making everything from scratch for this dish, add on an additional 20-25 minutes.
To freeze, spray a disposable baking pan with with cooking spray and add the rice, corn, onion, bean, and ground turkey taco meat mixture. Let it cool completely before topping it with the shredded cheese. Cover it with three layers of aluminum foil and store it for up to 1 month in the freezer. To thaw, bake it at 350F for 30 minutes or until it's heated through. Once heated, proceed to add the remaining toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 22.1gCarbohydrates: 27.2gFiber: 2.9gSugar: 3.1gProtein: 12.6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments and on Instagram! @keytomylime #keytomylime
Be sure to pin this recipe for later!
Prefer quinoa to rice? Damn Delicious has a great One Pan Mexican Quinoa recipe.