Making roasted sweet potatoes in the air fryer is so quick and easy with this air fryer sweet potato cubes recipe. They’re a little crispy on the outside and perfectly tender on the inside. There are sweet and savory options to make this the perfect side dish for any occasion.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
These air fried sweet potato cubes will be such a popular side dish with your family. You can make them sweet or savory, and they’re seriously so delicious either way.
They have a slightly crispy exterior and a soft, creamy, and warm interior that you just can’t get enough of. These sweet potato cubes are so easy to whip up – that’s what makes them so perfect for a quick and easy Christmas side dish or an everyday dinner side.
The savory flavor is a beautiful herb blend with thyme, a hint of rosemary, and a little garlic. It also has the tiniest kick of heat from the cayenne pepper, which balances out the sweetness of the sweet potato perfectly.
The sweet flavor seriously tastes like a dessert. The combination of brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg tastes so incredibly delicious, and the way it caramelizes in the air fryer is so tasty.
Sweet Potatoes: Two medium sweet potatoes should be roughly the correct weight for this recipe. I recommend using either small or medium sweet potatoes (instead of large sweet potatoes) because they’re easier to cut into cubes.
Oil: I like using olive oil to coat the potatoes, but feel free to use your favorite cooking oil.
Cinnamon Sugar Blend: A combination of light brown sugar, ground cinnamon, fine sea salt, and ground nutmeg flavor the sweet version of these sweet potatoes perfectly. If you have whole nutmeg on hand, it will elevate the flavor even more if you grate your own.
Savory Spice Blend: To make savory sweet potatoes that are perfect as an easy holiday side dish, I love seasoning them with a homemade spice blend made from dried thyme leaves, garlic powder, dried rosemary, ground black pepper, fine sea salt, and just a hint of cayenne pepper.
I love the flavor that the cayenne adds, and since there’s such a small amount it really isn’t spicy. If you don’t like any spice at all, feel free to leave it out.
How To Air Fry Sweet Potatoes
To make baked sweet potatoes in the air fryer, start by preheating the air fryer with the grate in the bottom of the basket. While the air fryer preheats, peel and chop the potatoes. Mix together either the cinnamon sugar blend OR the savory seasoning blend. Add the sweet potato chunks, oil, and the spice blend to a large bowl. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Toss the sweet potatoes to coat them in the oil and seasoning. Transfer the coated sweet potato cubes to the preheated air fryer basket. Shake the basket back and forth to make sure the sweet potatoes are in a single layer. Cook the sweet potato cubes in intervals, shaking between each interval, until the outside is crispy and the inside is tender and cooked through. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
What Is The Best Way To Cube Sweet Potatoes?
To cube sweet potatoes, start by peeling them. Then cut off the ends, and slice off the sides to create a flat and rectangular shape. Then cut through the sweet potato to make 1/2” slices. Cut those into 1/2” slices, then cut the opposite direction to create 1/2” squares.
How Long Do Sweet Potatoes Take In The Air Fryer?
These roasted sweet potatoes are the best way to cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer because they’re so quick and easy. They only take about 15 minutes to cook in the air fryer, instead of the 45 minutes full sweet potatoes would take.
What Temperature Should Sweet Potatoes Be In The Air Fryer?
400 F is the best temperature to cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer. It will cook the potatoes quickly, create crispy edges, and yield tender soft interiors.
Should You Soak Sweet Potatoes Before Air Frying?
No, you don’t need to soak sweet potatoes before air frying them. They don’t contain as much starch as russet or white potatoes, so this is a step you can skip.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out all of our side dishes! Some reader favorites are:
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Cinnamon Sugar Seasoning:
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 4 minutes with the grate in the bottom of the air fryer basket. While the air fryer is preheating, oil and season the sweet potato cubes.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the sweet potato cubes and drizzle them with the olive oil. Sprinkle either the cinnamon sugar seasoning blend OR the savory seasoning blend over the sweet potatoes. Mix until the sweet potato cubes are evenly coated.
- Once the air fryer has preheated, transfer the seasoned sweet potato cubes to the air fryer basket. Gently shake the basket forward and backward to level the sweet potato cubes into an even layer. Cook at 400F for 7 minutes. Pull the basket out and shake to stir the sweet potato cubes, then cook for another 5 minutes. Shake again and cook for 3-5 more minutes, or until your desired crispiness has been reached. Shaking the sweet potato cubes in intervals allows them to cook evenly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 3.6gCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 5.8gSugar: 12.2gProtein: 2.9g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. Nutrition information was calculated using the sweet seasoning blend.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to cook sweet potato chunks to make a side dish, try this amazing roasted air fryer sweet potato cubes recipe!