This 25-minute meal prep will help you make delicious lunch boxes for the week quickly and easily. Filled with chicken breast, flavorful rice, and broccoli, these easy healthy meal prep bowls will be your new favorite lunch!
This post is sponsored by Tony Chachere’s.
Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
If you’re anything like me, you love the idea of meal prep, but when it comes to figuring out meal prep ideas, sometimes you feel a bit stumped. That’s why I’m obsessed with flavor combinations like the ones in this chicken and rice recipe – everything tastes incredible, but it really only takes a few minutes to prepare.
The reason this recipe is so easy is because I decided to rely on two of my favorite seasoning blends from Tony Chachere’s. Their seasonings are truly amazing on everything, but they really bring the chicken to life in this dish (plus it’s so tasty with their rice)!
How to Make Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
There’s a little bit of multitasking with this meal prep, but since there’s so little hands-on time, it doesn’t feel like much work.
You’ll start by preparing the marinade with the seasoning and Greek yogurt (if you like a little sweet with your spicy, I’d recommend adding in just a bit of honey). I like to marinate the chicken for half an hour in the fridge, but that’s completely optional. Bake the chicken at a high temperature to lock in the juices and get it cooked quickly.
While the oven preheats for the chicken, start the rice and cook it according to the package instructions.
Once you have the rice and chicken cooking, steam the broccoli for a couple of minutes, or until you’re just barely able to pierce it with a fork.
Calories in Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
This recipe makes four meal prep portions. According to Cronometer, each portion has approximately 361 calories.
Veggies for Meal Prep
I used broccoli, and it’s my favorite vegetable for this type of meal prep recipe.
You could also use:
- Green Beans
- Brussels Sprouts
Sauces for Meal Prep
The simplest and most cost effective sauce for this meal prep is making additional marinade to use as a sauce.
I like to double the marinade and then save half for sauce containers to eat with at lunch. One quick note on that though, the sauce gets spicier the longer it sits, so if you’re sensitive to spice, you may want to make it separately from the marinade using only 1 Tablespoon of Tony Chachere’s No Salt Seasoning Blend.
How Long Will it Last
Cooked chicken and cooked rice should both last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, which is why this meal prep for the week only includes 4 portions. As you’re nearing the end of the days, always be sure to check the chicken for any odd colors or odors.
How to Reheat Your Meal Prep
To reheat this meal prep, sprinkle a few drops of water on the rice and then microwave it for 1 – 2 minutes (or until the rice is steaming).
What You’ll Need
This meal prep couldn’t be simpler to prepare, and it only used a few common kitchen tools. All you’ll need is a good baking sheet, a lidded pot, and a steamer basket.
If you like easy chicken meal prep recipes, you may love my Rotisserie Chicken Taco Salad Meal Prep recipe.
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Tony Chachere’s No Salt Seasoning Blend
- ⅓ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 box Tony Chachere’s Creole Butter and Herb Rice (or Tony Chachere’s Creole Dirty Rice, depending on spice preference)
- 2 crowns broccoli
- Wash and dry the chicken breasts.
- To a large ziploc bag, add the Greek yogurt, Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning, and mix to combine. Add in the chicken breasts. Close the ziploc and squeeze to move the chicken around and evenly coat in the yogurt marinade. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. The high temperature is important to lock the juices and flavor in.
- Bake the chicken for 15 - 18 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature reads 165 F on a meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and place on a plate. Tent loosely with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- While the chicken is baking, cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- While the chicken and rice are cooking, prepare and cook the broccoli. Wash and dry the broccoli, then cut into bite florets. Steam in a steamer basket over boiling water for 5 to 6 minutes (depending on floret size).
- Allow the food to cool completely before placing in microwavable meal prep containers.
- To each container, add ¼ of the rice, ¼ of the broccoli, and half of a chicken breast.
To reheat, sprinkle the rice with water. Be sure to break the rice up a bit with a fork if it’s stuck together. Cover with a microwavable lid (or a damp paper towel), and microwave on high for 1 - 2 minutes (or until heated through).
To cook the chicken in an air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 400 F for 3 minutes. Place the two chicken breasts in the air fryer basket (without them touching each other), and cook on 400 F for 10 minutes. Flip, and cook for an additional 10 minutes (or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 F). Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
You can double the marinade and save half to use as a dipping sauce for the meal prep.
If you use a Greek yogurt with a lower percentage of fat, you may need to adjust the spice. The fat balances out the heat and it could be too spicy if you use a low-fat variety.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 10.5gSaturated Fat: 5.2gTrans Fat: 0.3gCarbohydrates: 41.5gFiber: 2.9gProtein: 25.4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. This was calculated assuming no additional sauce was included.
If you try this recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Be sure to pin this recipe for later!
For an easy, healthy, and delicious meal plan, try making this chicken and rice meal prep with broccoli!