Chocolate Jello Pudding Pie is a quick and easy family favorite that’s perfect for the holidays! Serve it on an Oreo cookie crust and top it with chocolate chips for extra chocolate flavor.
Jello Pudding Pie
Oh my goodness. If you’re looking for a rich and decadent chocolate pudding pie that’s still light and is seriously SO easy to make, you’ve found it!
This no-bake chocolate pie has 3 delicious layers. There’s a homemade Oreo cookie crust, then a layer of thick rich chocolate pudding, and it’s topped with a lighter layer of chocolate pudding that’s mixed with Cool Whip. The combination creates this delicious creamy mousse-like consistency.
The best part is that there’s no baking required. Just prepare it and place it in the freezer to set, then enjoy.
This is such an easy chocolate mousse pie to make for Easter, Christmas, or Thanksgiving! It will definitely have everyone asking for seconds and bring smiles to everyone’s faces. If you’re serving it for Christmas, try garnishing it with crushed peppermint or peppermint sprinkles.
If you’re serving it during the summer, try serving it with seasonal berries (like raspberries or strawberries) and a scoop of ice cream.
Oreo Crust: I love the rich chocolate flavor of combining an Oreo crust with the chocolate pudding pie filling. You could use a ready-made store bought Oreo crust, but since it’s so easy and tastes better when you make it at home, that’s what I prefer. You could also use a regular pre-baked pie crust if you prefer. That’s what I did in this Chocolate Pie recipe, and the results were awesome!
Chocolate Pudding Mix: Using instant pudding mix makes this a super simple no-cook dessert. Be sure to look for the box that says “instant” in the title so that you don’t have to heat the pudding in order for it to thicken.
Half and Half: Using half and half instead of milk to make the pudding is better because it makes it more creamy, flavorful, and rich. It also makes the pudding thicker, which helps it to be substantial enough to act as a pie filling.
Cool Whip: Whipped topping that’s been thawed in the fridge makes all the difference in this recipe. It’s such a great ingredient to use in no-bake desserts because it creates a light and fluffy texture, without risking the filling melting as the dessert rests (like it might if you used homemade whipped cream).
Chocolate Chips: I love simple desserts that still look pretty. Chocolate chips are optional, but sprinkling some around the edge of the pie is such a quick and easy way to decorate and elevate this dessert.
How To Make Chocolate Pudding Pie
Start by pulsing the Oreos in a food processor until they reach a fine crumb consistency. (See the recipe card below for the full printable recipe.)
Add the melted butter to the food processor, and pulse until it’s combined with the Oreo crumbs.
Transfer the Oreo and butter mixture to a greased pie plate, then press it into place. Let the crust rest in the fridge to set while you make the filling.
Use an electric hand mixer to mix the instant pudding and half and half together until the pudding has thickened.
Transfer half of the pudding to the center of the pie crust, then use a silicone spatula to spread it out evenly to the edges.
Gently fold the thawed whipped topping into the remaining pudding.
Dollop the pudding and whipped topping mixture in the center of the pie, then use a silicone spatula to spread it out evenly to the edges.
Let the pie set in the freezer, then let it thaw in the fridge for a few minutes before serving. Just before serving, sprinkle the chocolate chips around the edge as a garnish. I found that the pie didn’t set enough if you only let it set in the fridge, so it definitely needs time in the freezer. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
How Do You Thicken Instant Pudding For Pie?
The instructions for this pudding pie should give you a filling that has the perfect consistency. The key steps are to use a handheld electric mixer to mix the pudding for two minutes (if you don’t have an electric mixer, you’ll need to mix it vigorously by hand), and to use half and half instead of milk as the liquid ingredient.
If the pie filling still isn’t thick enough, you can either mix in a bit more pudding mix or a bit of powdered sugar.
Why Is My Pudding Pie Runny?
If your pudding pie filling is runny, it likely means that you either overmixed or undermixed the pudding. If you mix it on too high or a speed or for too long, it can become watery. If you don’t mix it long enough, the ingredients won’t combine well enough to thicken properly.
Best Pie Crusts For No Bake Chocolate Pie
I love using a homemade Oreo pie crust for chocolate pie because it really accentuates the chocolate flavor. You could also make your own no bake pie crust with pretzels, Nutter Butters, or shortbread cookies. If you prefer the flavor of a traditional pie crust, you can make one and bake it, then just let it cool before you add the pudding pie filling.
How To Decorate Jello Pudding Pie
I think a simple and cute way to decorate a no-bake chocolate pie is with a border of chocolate chips. You can also garnish it with whipped cream, sprinkles, chocolate shavings, or hot fudge sauce.
Pro tip: get beautiful chocolate shavings by using a potato peeler to shave pieces of chocolate off of a bar of chocolate.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our desserts recipes section! Some reader favorites are:
- 25 Oreo cookies
- 1/3 cup butter (melted, 75 grams)
Chocolate Pudding Pie Filling:
- 2 (3.9 oz) boxes Jello Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 (8 oz) tub Cool Whip (thawed in fridge)*
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- To a food processor, add the Oreo cookies. Pulse until the cookies are fine crumbs (about 30-35 seconds). Pour in the melted butter and pulse a few more times (until the crumbs and butter are well combined).
- Lightly grease a 9.5 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Transfer the cookie crumb and butter mixture to the pie plate, and spread out evenly. Press the crumbs down using a rubber spatula. Then use the bottom of a measuring cup (or a drinking glass) to press down to help pack the crumbs firmly into place.
- Place the pie crust in the fridge to harden the butter. While waiting for the crust to cool, start preparing the filling.
Chocolate Jello Pudding Pie Filling:
- To a large mixing bowl, add both boxes of pudding mix and the half and half. Use an electric handheld mixer on low speed to mix for two minutes (or until it has thickened).
- Remove the pie crust from the fridge and transfer roughly half of the pudding mixture to the center of the pie crust. Use a silicone spatula to spread the pie filling out evenly to the edges.
- Add the Cool Whip to the bowl with the remaining pudding. Use a silicone spatula to gently fold the Cool Whip into the pudding until it’s fully incorporated.
- Transfer the Cool Whip and pudding filling to the pie, and spread it out evenly on top of the pudding layer.
- Place the pie in the freezer for at least 2 hours to stiffen and set.
- 20-30 minutes before serving, transfer the pie to the fridge to allow it to thaw slightly.
- Once the pie has slightly softened, garnish the border with chocolate chips. Slice into 8 pieces, serve, and enjoy.
*In the US, 8 ounces is one standard tub of Cool Whip. In Canada, it’s about 3/4 of a standard 1L tub.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 516Total Fat: 28.9gCarbohydrates: 60.7gFiber: 2.7gSugar: 39.2gProtein: 4.6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
This easy instant chocolate pudding pie with an Oreo crust is the best no-bake pie! Your whole family will love this chocolate Jello pudding pie.