These crispy baked dry rub chicken wings are coated in the best homemade spice blend. Everyone will be licking their fingers and talking about how delicious they are.
This post is sponsored by BUBBL’R.
Baked Dry Rub Wings
If you’re looking for a chicken wing recipe that’s packed full of flavor, deliciously crispy, and is still a little on the healthier side, these baked dry rub chicken wings are the recipe you’re looking for! These really might be the best wings ever.
Oh my gosh, that rub. Wow. That’s where all the magic is. This is truly one of those times where it’s very much worth it to take the extra couple of minutes to measure out your own spice blend instead of using a store bought blend. There’s SO much delicious flavor. The kind of flavor that will leave you licking your fingers it’s so good.
Try serving them with some ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, gorgonzola cheese dipping sauce, or this delicious homemade spicy ranch.
I’ve partnered up with BUBBL’R to bring you this amazing game day recipe. That homemade dry rub is so phenomenal, and the flavor pairs so well with an ice cold can of their cranberry grapefruit sparkl’r flavor! You can find out where to buy BUBBL’R here.
Sugar: A little bit of brown sugar really balances out the spicy flavors. You can omit the sugar if you want, but I honestly think it’s so much better with it.
Spices: We’re using a combination of salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, ground cumin, chipotle powder, black pepper, and dried oregano to season the wings.
Chicken Wings: Use a combination of flats and drumettes (with the wing tips removed).
Oil: You can use any neutral tasting oil that you like working with. The oil is just to help the spices stick to the chicken, and to help the skin crisp up.
How To Make A Dry Rub For Chicken Wings
This quick dry rub for chicken wings couldn’t be any easier. You literally just mix the spices and some brown sugar in a bowl and it’s ready to go.
How To Make Dry Rub Wings
Start by preheating the oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, and then place a baking rack on top of the foil. (See the recipe card below for the full printable recipe.)
Mix together the dry rub ingredients.
Pat dry the chicken wings using paper towels, then add them to a large mixing bowl.
Add oil to the wings, then toss to coat the wings in oil. Add in the dry rub, and mix to fully coat all of the wings in the rub.
Spread the wings out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake until the wings are cooked through and the skin is crispy. If you want the skin super crispy, you can try finishing off the last few minutes in an air fryer! See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
Do You Pat Dry Chicken Wings?
Yes! This step is critical. The chicken wings need to be very dry in order for the skin to get crispy. The best way to do that is using paper towels.
Do You Put Dry Rub On Wings Before Or After Cooking?
You put the dry rub on the wings before baking so that the seasoning will really stick to the chicken.
How Long Should Dry Rub Sit On Chicken?
This recipe is written to season the chicken right before you bake it. Assuming your chicken is fresh, you can toss the wings in the oil and dry rub up to 24 hours before you bake it. Just be sure to cover the bowl the chicken is in and store it in the fridge.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Click here to pin this recipe for later!
Chicken Wings Recipes
If you’re looking for chicken wing recipes, check out some of these reader favorite appetizers!
- 2 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 pounds chicken wings (about 36 chicken wings, flats and drumettes)
- 2 Tablespoons oil of choice (vegetable, olive, avocado, and grapeseed all work)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (218 C). Take a rimmed baking sheet that has a matching baking rack, and line the baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the rack on top of the rimmed baking sheet, and spray it with oil so that the wings don’t stick.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Dry the chicken wings with a paper towel. This step is important - removing the excess moisture allows the chicken to really crisp up. Add the chicken to a large mixing bowl. Add the oil, and toss to coat the wings in oil. Sprinkle the chicken seasoning blend over the chicken wings, and use your hands to massage the seasoning into each wing until they’re all fully and evenly coated.
- Place the wings on the baking sheet, making sure that they’re evenly spaced so that they each have a little room.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the wings are fully cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F on a meat thermometer, and the skin is crispy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 30.5gCarbohydrates: 4.5gFiber: 0.6gSugar: 3.1gProtein: 31.6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
If you’re looking for the most epic wing recipe, you have to try these dry rub chicken wings!