This Ham and Noodle Casserole is the best way to use up your leftover ham! This quick and easy from scratch casserole is made with egg noodles, diced ham, a sour cream sauce, and it’s topped with a cheesy layer.
Ham And Noodle Casserole (Without Soup)
This ham and noodle casserole was so delicious!
My favorite part was the lovely, light, and flavorful creamy sauce. It’s made without any condensed soup, which I think makes the flavor so much better.
The chunks of ham were a great addition and it’s such an easy way to use up any leftovers after a holiday (like this Copycat Honey Baked Ham). You could also just use a ham steak from the deli.
My family loved this noodle bake! It’s the type of comfort food that left a couple people literally licking their plates, which is always one of my favorite compliments.
Ham And Noodle Casserole VS German Ham And Noodle Casserole:
The main difference is that German ham and noodle casserole has eggs in it, which makes the casserole much thicker and sturdier. It’s actually thick enough to slice into servings with clean cut edges.
Noodles: Egg noodles are the perfect noodle for this recipe. They’re wide and flat, so they are amazing at soaking up sauce. Since they’re shorter, they’re easy to eat in a baked pasta casserole.
Butter: This is the fat we’re using to make the roux. You could use oil, but it wouldn’t be as flavorful.
Flour: This is the thickener we’re using to make the roux. It combines with the melted butter before any liquid is added in. This allows the flour to evenly mix into the liquid without clumping up, and then simmering that mixture thickens the liquid into a sauce.
Milk: Whole milk is creamy and makes the perfect base for a creamy casserole sauce.
Chicken Broth: Using equal parts milk and chicken broth makes the sauce creamy and flavorful.
Garlic and Spices: Using a combination of fresh garlic, dried parsley, onion powder, and ground black pepper adds tons of flavor to this casserole. If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can substitute it with garlic powder.
Sour Cream: Mixing sour cream into the sauce thickens the sauce even more, while keeping it very creamy.
Ham: This is perfect recipe to use leftover spiral ham from the holidays, but you can also use thick cut ham from the deli. Just make sure you’re using cooked ham.
Cheese: Freshly shredded mozzarella is the best cheese for this dish because it’s supremely melty and stretchy. If you don’t want to use mozzarella you could use Swiss cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.
How To Make Ham And Noodle Casserole
Start by melting the butter, then adding the garlic and sautéing it until it’s fragrant. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter. (See the recipe card below for the full printable recipe.)
Whisk together the flour and melted butter to make a roux, then slowly add the chicken broth and milk while whisking constantly (until it reaches a smooth texture). Whisk in the spices.
Stir in the shredded cheese and sour cream. Then gently fold in the cooked pasta and diced ham.
Transfer the coated creamy ham and noodles to a greased casserole dish.
Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheese, then bake uncovered in a preheated oven until the cheese is melted and just starting to turn golden brown. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
Add Vegetables: Fresh peas, roasted broccoli florets, or sautéed mushroom slices would all be delicious additions to this casserole.
Swap the Meat: If you don’t have any leftover ham, this recipe can be made with chicken instead (it’s a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken).
Use a Premade Sauce: If you don’t want to make a sauce from scratch, you could try using jarred Alfredo sauce.
Add Toppings: I love serving this topped with fresh diced parsley, but it would also be delicious with a toasted bread crumb topping.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Click here to pin this recipe for later!
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out all of our casserole recipes! Some reader favorites are:
- Hamburger Potato Casserole
- Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole with Bacon
- 1 (12 ounce) bag wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 cups freshly shredded pizza mozzarella (divided)*
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (176 C). Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the egg noodles and cook to al dente (according to the package instructions).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the butter and swirl to coat the pan. Once melted, add in the garlic and saute for about 1 minute (or until aromatic).
- Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and stir, creating a roux. Add the milk and chicken broth to a large liquid measuring cup, then mix to combine. Slowly pour the milk and chicken broth mixture into the roux, while whisking constantly. Continue whisking until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Whisk in the dried parsley, onion powder, and black pepper. Mix in the sour cream and 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Let it simmer for 4 minutes, while continuing to whisk (or until the cheese is melted and the sauce has thickened a bit).
- Add in the cooked egg noodles and diced ham. Gently mix until the sauce evenly coats the noodles.
- Pour the ham and noodles into the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 15 minutes (or until the cheese has melted and the edges are just starting to turn golden brown).
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
*It’s important to use freshly shredded mozzarella. Pre-shredded cheeses are coated in an anti-caking agent that stops them from melting smoothly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 19.1gCarbohydrates: 41.4gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 3.6gProtein: 21.8g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
If you’re looking for a dinner idea to use up your leftover ham, try this ham and pasta casserole! It’s the best leftover ham casserole recipe.