These air fryer chicken quarters are so easy to make. They have super crispy skin, and extra juicy meat! The chicken seasoning takes the flavor to the next level. Try serving it with some BBQ sauce or some cilantro garlic sauce.
Air Fryer Chicken Quarters
Oh my goodness, if you’re looking for an easy and delicious chicken quarters recipe, you have to try these air fryer chicken leg quarters!
The crispy skin and juicy dark meat make this simple chicken leg and thigh recipe a must-try for busy nights. With minimal prep time, you’ll have a scrumptious dinner in no time, and your family will be asking for seconds.
These air fryer chicken legs are so tasty. They’re coated with an oil and spice blend made from Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. That spice blend gives the chicken not only an incredible taste but also a super flavorful and crispy skin with a gorgeous color.
The juicy and tender dark meat inside is perfectly cooked. Say goodbye to dry, overcooked chicken and hello to a new family favorite!
Chicken Quarters: For this recipe, we’ll be using chicken leg quarters. These are a combination of the chicken thigh and leg, making them a fantastic option for a filling and satisfying meal. The dark meat is flavorful and tender. When it’s cooked in the air fryer the meat is juicy and the skin is crispy.
Olive Oil: Using olive oil helps the spices and herbs adhere to the chicken while also promoting that deliciously crispy skin we all love.
Spices and Herbs: The blend of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and onion powder creates a mouthwatering rub that infuses the chicken with a beautiful depth of flavor. This spice blend is the secret to taking your chicken leg quarters to the next level.
If you’d like to switch things up, try experimenting with different spice blends or herbs. You can use lemon pepper seasoning, Cajun spices, or even a simple mix of fresh rosemary and thyme for a different flavor profile. Feel free to get creative with your rub and make these air fryer chicken quarters uniquely yours!
How To Cook Chicken Leg Quarters In Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer and prepare the spice blend: Give your air fryer a chance to warm up before you start cooking the chicken. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and onion powder, and stir well. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Dry the and coat chicken: Use paper towels to thoroughly pat the chicken quarters dry. Add the chicken quarters to the bowl with the spice and oil blend, and toss until the chicken is evenly coated.
Arrange the chicken in the air fryer: Place the chicken quarters skin side down on top of the trivet in the air fryer.
Cook the chicken: Begin cooking the chicken, then flip it using tongs after the first half of the cooking time has passed.
Check for doneness and rest the chicken: Ensure the chicken is cooked through by checking that the juices run clear and using an instant-read thermometer to confirm the internal temperature reaches 175F at the thickest part (without touching the bone). Remove the chicken quarters from the air fryer, transfer them to a clean plate, and let them rest for a few minutes before serving with your favorite side dishes. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
- Always preheat your air fryer for the best results.
- Make sure to thoroughly dry the chicken with paper towels before applying the oil and spice blend. This helps the skin get crispy during cooking.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Arrange the chicken quarters in a single layer to ensure even cooking and crisping.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure your chicken is cooked to the perfect internal temperature of 175F.
- Allow the cooked chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving. This helps the juices redistribute and makes the meat even more tender and juicy.
How Long Do You Cook Chicken Quarters At 375?
In this recipe, we cook the chicken quarters at 375F for 25 minutes in the air fryer. The size of your chicken quarters can affect the cook time. My chicken quarters were about 12 ounces each (3/4 pound) and needed a total of 25 minutes. If yours are larger, you may need to add an additional 5 minutes or so. If yours are smaller, you may need to subtract a few minutes. Always check for doneness with an instant-read thermometer.
Why Is My Chicken Not Crispy In The Air Fryer?
To achieve that perfect, crispy skin, make sure your chicken is thoroughly dried with paper towels before adding the oil and spice rub. Also, be sure not to overcrowd your air fryer basket, as this can cause uneven cooking and prevent the skin from crisping up properly.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Or Drumsticks Instead?
Yes! You can easily adapt this recipe to use chicken thighs or drumsticks. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as smaller pieces may cook faster.
Can I Marinate The Chicken Beforehand For Extra Flavor?
Absolutely! You can marinate the chicken for a few hours or even overnight to infuse more flavor into the meat.
How Do You Know When Chicken Quarters Are Done?
Your chicken quarters are done when they reach an internal temperature of 175F at the thickest part of the meat without touching the bone. The juices should also run clear when you cut into the meat.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time And Reheat It Later?
Yes, you can reheat cooked chicken quarters in the air fryer at 350F for 5-7 minutes, or until heated through.
Bake the chicken quarters at 425F for 35-45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 175F.
Cook the chicken quarters on a preheated grill over medium heat for 35-45 minutes, turning occasionally, until the internal temperature reaches 175F.
What To Serve With Chicken Quarters
I love to serve this easy chicken recipe with simple and flavorful side dishes. My favorite ones to serve it with are:
- Microwave Baked Potato
- Roasted Baby Potato
- Seasoned Rice
- Green Beans and Potatoes
- Buttered Peas
- Glazed Baby Carrots
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Air Fryer Recipes
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out all of our chicken recipes! Some reader favorites are:
BEST Air Fryer Chicken Quarters (Crispy and Juicy)
These air fryer chicken quarters are so easy to make. They have super crispy skin and juicy meat! The chicken seasoning is next level tasty.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 chicken leg quarters (bone-in and skin on, about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Preheat the air fryer to 375F for 5 minutes.* While it preheats, prepare the chicken.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add the oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Stir until well combined.
- Thoroughly dry the chicken quarters with paper towels, then add them to the bowl with the oil blend. Toss the chicken with the spice and oil blend until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Place the chicken quarters on top of the trivet in the air fryer, skin side down, and cook for 15 minutes. Use tongs to flip the chicken over, and cook for about 10 more minutes. The chicken is done when the juices run clear and it reads an internal temperature of 175F on an instant read thermometer at the thickest part of the chicken (without touching the bone). See notes regarding cooking time.**
- Remove the chicken quarters from the air fryer and transfer to a clean plate. Let them rest for 5 minutes before serving with desired sides.
*The chicken leg quarters will fit better in an XL air fryer.
**The size of your chicken quarters can change the cook time. My chicken quarters were about 12 ounces each (3/4 pound) and needed a total of 25 minutes. If yours are larger, you may need to add an additional 5 minutes or so. If yours are smaller, you may need to subtract a few minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 654Total Fat: 45.5gCarbohydrates: 6.1gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 0.2gProtein: 90.1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
When I first tried this air fryer chicken quarters recipe, I knew I had found my go-to method. I hope you try it and love it as much as I do!