Make the easiest and crispiest Italian chicken cutlets with this air fryer chicken cutlets recipe! That golden and crispy coating takes only 8 minutes to cook.
Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
This delicious, easy, and crispy air fryer chicken cutlets recipe is so amazing! It’s the perfect recipe for a quick lunchtime meal or a hassle-free weeknight dinner.
These chicken cutlets are seasoned with a blend of Italian bread crumbs, extra garlic and onion powder, and mixed with panko crumbs, creating a beautiful golden crust and an irresistible crunch.
The air fryer is my go-to kitchen appliance for cooking up these tender and juicy cutlets that your whole family will love. Not only is this air fryer recipe incredibly simple to make, but the results are absolutely perfect, delivering a crunchy coating and juicy chicken that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
If you’re ever looking for a baked chicken tenders recipe, I highly recommend our best chicken tenders! They’re so delicious.
Chicken Cutlets: Using chicken cutlets ensures a quick cooking time and tender results. If you don’t have chicken cutlets, thin-sliced chicken breast will work just as well.
Egg: The egg acts as a binder, helping the bread crumbs stick to the chicken cutlets. If you’re out of eggs, try using a mixture of milk and melted butter.
Italian Bread Crumbs and Panko: This combination of bread crumbs provides the perfect crispy texture and adds an extra layer of flavor to your chicken cutlets. You can use all panko or all Italian bread crumbs if you don’t have both.
Spices and Herbs: Adding extra garlic and onion powder to the breading enhances the flavor profile, making your chicken cutlets taste even better. Feel free to mix up the spices and herbs to suit your taste preferences.
Cooking Spray: To achieve that golden brown and crispy texture, use cooking spray to coat the chicken cutlets before air frying. If you don’t have cooking spray, you can use a brush to apply a thin layer of oil to the chicken cutlets.
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
Pat the chicken cutlets dry on both sides using paper towels. Season them with salt and pepper to taste, then set aside on a clean plate. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
To prepare your dredging station, you’ll need two shallow bowls and another clean plate. In the first shallow bowl, beat the egg and water together. In the second shallow bowl, combine the Italian bread crumbs, panko, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Dredge each chicken cutlet by first dipping it into the egg wash, then coating it with the breadcrumb mixture. Press the crumbs onto the chicken to ensure they stick well. Transfer the breaded cutlets to the clean plate.
While your air fryer preheats, let the chicken cutlets rest. This step allows the egg to absorb some of the dry ingredients, resulting in a moist and flavorful coating after cooking.
Place the cutlets in the air fryer basket, making sure they don’t overlap. Generously spray the tops with cooking spray for a crispy and golden finish.
Cook the chicken cutlets, flipping them halfway through and applying more cooking spray as needed. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165F on a meat thermometer. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
Optional Marinating Ideas:
- Pickle Juice: Marinate the chicken cutlets in pickle juice for a tangy twist that tastes similar to Chick-fil-A.
- Italian Dressing: Marinate the chicken in your favorite Italian dressing for extra flavor.
- Lemon-Garlic: Combine lemon juice, minced garlic, and olive oil for a bright and zesty marinade.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Chicken Cutlets In The Air Fryer?
It only takes about 8 minutes to cook raw thin sliced chicken breasts in the air fryer. Even after you add the prep time in, this breaded chicken recipe is ready in about 20 minutes!
Oven-Baked Chicken Cutlets
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake the chicken cutlets in a preheated oven at 400F for about 20-23 minutes (more or less depending on the thickness), flipping halfway through, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F. To ensure a crispy crust, you can place a wire rack on a baking sheet and place the breaded chicken cutlets on the rack.
Pan-Fried Chicken Cutlets
Heat about 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the breaded chicken cutlets in a single layer and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165F. Make sure not to overcrowd the skillet and add more oil as needed.
What Is A Chicken Cutlet?
A chicken cutlet is a thin piece of boneless chicken. It’s sliced horizontally from a chicken breast and it’s usually pounded. They’re versatile, juicy, and perfect for breading and frying. They can be used for a variety of dishes like chicken parmesan or served on a sandwich or salad.
How To Make Chicken Cutlets Out Of Chicken Breasts
You can easily make your own chicken cutlets by butterflying a large chicken breast into two thin, even pieces, then pounding it thin with a meat mallet.
What To Serve With Chicken Cutlets
I love serving this with delicious and simple side dishes. My favorite ones to serve it with are:
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out all of our chicken recipes. Some reader favorites are:
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup panko
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 chicken cutlets (or 2 large breasts butterflied)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Using paper towels, pat the chicken cutlets dry on both sides. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then place the cutlets on a clean plate and set aside while you prepare the dredging station.
- To set up the dredging station you will need 2 shallow bowls that are big enough to fit one cutlet at a time and a clean plate. In the first shallow bowl, beat the egg and water together until fully incorporated. In the second shallow bowl, add the Italian bread crumbs, panko, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix together. The clean plate will sit next to the bowl with the bread crumbs to rest your chicken on after dredging.
- Once your station is set up, lay a cutlet into the egg wash and fully cover it, then transfer the chicken to the bread crumbs and fully coat it (it helps to use one hand for the wet bowl and one hand for the dry bowl). Once the chicken has been coated, you can use your fingers to press down to get the crumbs to really stick. Remove the chicken from the bread crumbs, and transfer it to the clean plate. Allow it to rest while you do the next one. Mix the dry ingredients between each chicken cutlet to blend in the seasoning that fell to the bottom of the dish. Repeat the same process for the remaining cutlets.
- Once the dredging is complete, spray the trivet for the air fryer with cooking spray, then preheat the air fryer to 400F for 5 minutes. (Resting the chicken while the air fryer preheats allows the egg to absorb some of the dry ingredients, so you don't get a dry coating after cooking.)
- Once the air fryer has preheated, lay 2 of the cutlets down in the basket, making sure they don't overlap. Generously spray the tops with cooking spray. This will make the chicken crispy and golden. Set the timer for 4 minutes, but open the air fryer half way through and spray with oil again if you notice any dry spots.
- Flip the chicken over, making sure it does not overlap, and generously spray the tops again with cooking spray. Continue to cook for an additional 4 minutes, spraying the tops halfway through if there are any dry spots. The chicken is done when an instant read thermometer reads an internal temperature of 165F at the thickest point.
- Remove the chicken cutlets and set aside while you cook the second batch repeating the same steps.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 9.5gCarbohydrates: 12.5gFiber: 0.8gSugar: 1.3gProtein: 47.1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
You can easily whip up a quick, delicious, and crispy air fryer chicken cutlets recipe in no time!