Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta is coated in the most amazing creamy garlic pasta sauce. It’s the ultimate easy comfort food that’s ready in less than 25 minutes!
Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta
I’m so excited to share this amazing, easy, and comforting Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta recipe with you. It’s creamy, it has a perfect consistency, and it’s packed with flavor.
This simple pasta dish is a family favorite and it’s perfect for busy weeknights, yet elegant enough for a special occasion. Trust me, your family will be asking for seconds!
Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta is so incredibly delicious. It has lots of fresh garlic, a rich and creamy sauce made from heavy cream and freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, and tender, juicy chicken breast seasoned with even more garlic, salt, and pepper.
When that’s all combined with penne pasta, the thick and creamy sauce coats the chicken and fills every groove of the pasta. Every bite is absolutely bursting with creamy garlic flavor.
This dish reminds me of a super creamy, garlicky Alfredo, but with its own unique and tasty twist. Everyone will definitely be asking for seconds!
While you’re here be sure to check out our reader favorite Garlic Chicken Pasta – it’s the best easy chicken pasta recipe and has over 100 5-star reviews!
Chicken Breasts: I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe because they cook quickly and take on the flavor of the dish really well. You can also use chicken thighs if you prefer a richer flavor.
I recommend using air chilled chicken because it releases less moisture during cooking, which means the chicken will have a better texture and be juicier.
Pasta: I chose penne pasta for this recipe because it holds the creamy sauce well, but feel free to use any pasta shape you like such as angel hair pasta, bow tie, or fettuccine.
Olive Oil: Olive oil is used to coat the chicken before cooking, giving it a nice, golden sear.
Butter: I like using butter as the base of my roux because it adds so much more depth of flavor than oil does. It also pairs well with the garlic in this recipe.
Garlic: Minced garlic cloves are a key ingredient in this dish, giving it a rich, delicious flavor.
Spices and Herbs: Garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and dried parsley are used to season the chicken and the sauce. Feel free to add more of your favorite spices or herbs like Italian seasoning for extra flavor.
Flour: All-purpose flour is used to create a roux, which helps thicken the sauce.
Chicken Broth: Chicken broth adds depth of flavor and helps create a smooth, creamy sauce.
Cream: Heavy cream is used for a rich, velvety sauce. If you want a lighter option, I’ve had great results using half and half. You can also use milk or even Philadelphia cream cheese for a different twist.
Parmesan: Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese adds a delicious, savory, and salty umami flavor to the sauce. I recommend using freshly shredded cheese because it’s not coated in an anti-caking agent, which means it will melt into the sauce better and the sauce will have a smoother texture. You can also use other types of cheese like mozzarella or provolone.
- Swap penne for a different type of pasta like fusilli, farfalle, or rotini.
- Use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for a richer dish.
- Add sauteed mushrooms, bell peppers, or zucchini for a veggie boost.
- Incorporate sun-dried tomatoes or artichoke hearts for a Mediterranean twist.
- Spice it up by adding crushed red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
How To Make Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta
Prepare the pasta: Begin by cooking the pasta in a pot of boiling water. Once done, drain and set aside. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Make the marinade: In a bowl, mix together olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Butterfly and marinate the chicken: Butterfly the chicken breasts all the way through, creating 4 even fillets. Add the fillets to the mixing bowl with the oil and spice blend.
Cook the chicken: In a large skillet, cook the marinated chicken until fully cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Make the sauce base: In the same skillet, melt butter and add minced garlic and dried parsley.
Creating a roux: Sprinkle in the flour and mix to create the roux.
Create the creamy sauce: Slowly whisk chicken broth and cream into the roux. Stir until smooth and thickened.
Once the sauce starts bubbling add parmesan cheese to the sauce mixture. Remove from the heat once the sauce has thickened.
Slice the chicken: On a cutting board, slice the resting chicken breasts into thin slices at a slight angle.
Combine everything: Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss until coated. Add sliced chicken and mix until everything is fully coated. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, and helpful tips, etc.
- To ensure your pasta is cooked perfectly, follow the package instructions. Cook the pasta al dente to prevent it from becoming mushy when mixed with the sauce.
- For a smooth and creamy sauce, make sure to whisk the ingredients continuously while adding the chicken broth and cream.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan for better flavor and texture.
- Adjust the thickness of the sauce by adding more or less cream according to your preference.
- Add spinach or sundried tomatoes for extra flavor and color.
- Stir in some lemon juice to add a layer of brightness.
- Mix in cooked vegetables, like broccoli or peas, for a complete meal.
Can You Use Milk Instead Of Cream In Pasta?
You can, but I wouldn’t recommend it. The sauce will be less rich and creamy, and it’s much easier for a creamy sauce made with milk to break while cooking. I have had good luck with half and half though.
If you opt to use milk, you can make it creamier by adding more cheese or by adding a bit more flour to the roux, which will thicken the sauce more.
Can I Make This Dish Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can prepare the sauce and cook the chicken ahead of time. Store them separately in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, cook the pasta, reheat the sauce and chicken, and combine everything.
Storing Leftovers And Reheating Instructions
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat, adding a splash of cream or milk to thin the sauce, and cook until warmed through.
What To Serve It With
This Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta is delicious on its own, but you can also serve it with a simple side salad, garlic bread, or steamed vegetables to create a full meal. Some of my favorite side dishes to serve it with are buttered peas and Italian green beans.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Chicken Pasta Recipes
While you’re here, be sure to check out all of our pasta recipes! Some reader favorites are:
- Garlic Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Mushroom Pasta
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Rasta Pasta
- Spicy Chicken Pasta
- 12 ounces dried penne pasta (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (plus extra for garnish)
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta to al dente according to the package instructions. Once done, drain the pasta in a colander.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts all the way through, creating 4 even fillets. Add the fillets to the mixing bowl with the oil and spice blend. Toss until evenly coated, then set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken fillets and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 4 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer the chicken fillets to a cutting board and let rest while preparing the sauce. Turn the heat down to medium.
- Melt the butter in the skillet, then add the minced garlic and dried parsley. Sauté until aromatic (about 60 seconds). Sprinkle in the flour and mix, creating a roux. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Whisking quickly and continuously, slowly pour the chicken broth into the roux. Whisk until the broth and flour are incorporated, then whisk the cream into the broth. Once there are no lumps remaining, turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add the Parmesan cheese to the pan and stir until melted. Gently boil the sauce for about 3-4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat. Meanwhile, slice the resting chicken breasts into thin slices at a slight angle.
- Off the heat, add the drained pasta to the pan and toss until almost coated. Add the sliced chicken breast and continue to toss until everything is fully coated.
- Plate the Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta and garnish with extra Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley. Serve hot.
As the sauce cools, it thickens more. If you want a less thick sauce, use half-and-half or whole milk.
I do not recommend freezing this dish because of the cream sauce's texture and consistency. However, you can enjoy this dish for up to 3 days if kept in the refrigerator in a sealed container. To reheat, warm over medium-low heat and add a splash of cream to thin the sauce. Heat until warmed through, about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547Total Fat: 23.1gCarbohydrates: 48.1gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 34.8g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
I hope you and your family enjoy this delicious and easy Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta as much as I do! It’s truly a comfort food classic that everyone will love.