Never worry about thawing your chicken thighs again! This Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Thighs recipe makes the best moist and juicy chicken thighs with extra crispy skin. This delicious recipe will have everyone asking for seconds!
Frozen Chicken Thighs In The Instant Pot
We’ve all been there – realizing at the last minute that we forgot to thaw the chicken for dinner. But with this Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Thighs recipe, that’s no longer a problem!
In just 35 minutes, you’ll have tender, juicy chicken thighs seasoned with a delightful blend of Italian seasoning, garlic, and paprika.
The Instant Pot cooks the chicken to perfection, and a quick trip under the broiler creates that irresistible crispy, golden skin.
This versatile recipe works well with various sauces and seasonings, making it a fantastic base for a wide range of chicken thigh recipes. Whether you prefer a classic curry, Mexican spices, or a simple and delicious teriyaki glaze, the flavor of this Instant Pot recipe is super adaptable.
This recipe is perfect for those hectic days when you need a delicious dinner solution that doesn’t require advance planning. Say goodbye to the last-minute dinner panic and hello to a stress-free, tasty meal!
So, whether you’re in the mood for a chicken thigh dinner with a side of mashed potatoes and green salad, or a comforting chicken noodle soup, this Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Thighs recipe will become your go-to solution for all your chicken-based meals.
I love how easy it is cooking frozen meat in my Instant Pot. It’s such a time saver and the results taste amazing! While you’re here, be sure to check out our Instant Pot frozen chuck roast recipe! It’s a reader favorite, with over 100 5-star reviews.
Frozen Chicken Thighs: I prefer using air-chilled chicken thighs for this recipe, as they have a great flavor and texture because they release less moisture during cooking. I have great luck with the chicken sold at Costco. Make sure to use bone-in, skin-on thighs for the best results.
Chicken Broth: Chicken broth adds moisture and flavor to the dish, ensuring that the chicken comes out tender and juicy.
Italian Seasoning, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Fine Sea Salt, and Ground Black Pepper: These spices create a delicious and aromatic seasoning blend that perfectly complements the chicken.
Olive Oil: Brushing the chicken thighs with olive oil before broiling them helps to create a crispy, golden skin.
- If you don’t have Italian seasoning on hand, you can substitute it with a blend of dried basil, oregano, and thyme.
- You can also try using a blend of Cajun spices or a mix of your favorite herbs instead of Italian seasoning for a bolder flavor.
- You can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- For a saucy twist, consider adding barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, or a homemade honey mustard glaze before broiling the chicken.
How To Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
Prepare the Instant Pot: Place the trivet at the bottom and arrange the frozen chicken thighs on top, skin side up. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Add the chicken broth and seasonings: Pour the chicken broth over the thighs and sprinkle the spices evenly over the skin.
Cook the chicken: Secure the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to “seal,” and cook on high pressure.
Release the pressure: Once the timer goes off, switch the valve to “vent” for a quick release.
Crisp the skin: Preheat your oven to broil, transfer the chicken thighs to a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and broil until crispy. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, and helpful tips, etc.
- When arranging the frozen chicken thighs in the Instant Pot, make sure they are not overlapping to ensure even cooking.
- If you’re using a smaller Instant Pot, you may need to cook the chicken in batches.
- Always check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure it has reached 170°F before serving.
Is It Safe To Pressure Cook Frozen Chicken?
Yes, pressure cooking frozen chicken is safe. Since pressure cooking causes the food to move through the “danger zone” quickly enough that it’s not a safety concern.
What Temp Should Bone In Chicken Thighs Be?
The internal temperature of bone-in chicken thighs should reach 170°F on a meat thermometer. Chicken thighs tend to taste more melt-in-your-mouth tender when cooked to a higher internal temperature though.
How Can I Cook This Without The Instant Pot Trivet?
If you don’t have a trivet, no worries! Try using a steamer basket or quartered onions to elevate the chicken above the broth. This will allow the chicken to cook evenly and prevent it from becoming soggy.
Why Is My Frozen Chicken Rubbery In Instant Pot?
If your frozen chicken turns out rubbery after cooking it in the Instant Pot, there could be a couple of reasons. Overcooking the chicken or not properly releasing the pressure can lead to a rubbery texture. To avoid this, be sure to follow the recommended cooking time and pressure release method in the recipe.
Is It Better To Do A Quick Release Or A Natural Release?
For this recipe, 5 minutes of a natural release followed by a quick release is recommended to prevent overcooking the chicken.
How Do I Make The Skin Crispy?
To achieve crispy skin on your frozen chicken thighs, you’ll want to finish them off in the oven. After pressure cooking, transfer the chicken thighs to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and brush the skin with olive oil. Broil the chicken thighs in the oven for approximately 5-7 minutes, or until the skin reaches your desired level of crispiness.
Can I Use Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs?
Yes, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs, but you’ll need to cook the chicken for 8 minutes less (12 minutes at high pressure followed by the broiling time in the oven to crisp the skin).
What To Serve With Chicken Thighs
Storing And Reheating Leftovers
Store any leftover chicken thighs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out all of our other chicken recipes. Some reader favorites are:
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Ranch Chicken Thighs
- Southern Chicken and Rice
- Roasted Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters
- Air Fried Chicken Tenderloins
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Instant Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken
- Bisquick Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 1/2 pounds frozen chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on (about 8 thighs)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Place the trivet at the bottom of the Instant Pot. Arrange the frozen chicken thighs on the trivet with the skin side facing up.
- Pour the chicken broth over the chicken thighs and evenly sprinkle the Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, and ground black pepper over the chicken skin.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid and set the valve to “seal”. Press the “manual” or "pressure cook" button, and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 5 minutes. Then, carefully switch the valve to the “vent” position to release the remaining pressure. Be careful, as the steam released will be very hot.
- For crispy skin, preheat your oven to broil. Transfer the chicken thighs to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and brush the skin with olive oil. Broil the chicken thighs for approximately 5-7 minutes, or until the skin reaches your desired level of crispiness and the internal temperature of the chicken reads 170F on an instant read meat thermometer.
- Serve the chicken thighs immediately with your choice of sides and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 24.7gCarbohydrates: 1.7gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 0.5gProtein: 46g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
I hope you and your family enjoy this delicious and easy Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Thighs recipe as much as we do. It’s a lifesaver for busy weeknights and will quickly become a go-to favorite in your meal rotation.